Re: [update] More 32bit packages for amd64

Frank <hugelmopf@web.de> writes:

> Am Freitag, 15. Juli 2005 21:59 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I added OpenOffice.org to amd64-archive now and fixed the resulting
>> problems. I can now install and run OOo without any chroot with this.
>>
>> The package isn't perfect yet so there are some details you have to do
>> for now:

>> As always, report success or failure please.
>
> I found a few missing dependencies:
> - grep-dctrl (for grep-dctrl)
> - devscripts (for dch)
>
> Then the installation went fine, although I don't really understand what it is
> doing. Is it kind of a replacement for the ia32libs?

It replaces the ia32-libs packages and adds more debs to the mix.

The ia32-libs package must carry all the sources and 32bit debs inside
the ia32-libs_ver.tar.gz file for GPL compliance and is insanely huge
(205MB) due to this. It also is only updated infrequently because it
needs manual intervention and a 205MB upload for every little change.

amd64-archive on the other hand only carries the script to convert the
debs and fetches them from the i386 archive. So no useless weight and
no update problems. A (not yet there) cron job updates the local
archive whenever the i386 archive changes.

It also can work on other repositories. My next goal is mplayer-686
and w32codecs from marilat.

> But unfortunately OpenOffice doesn't start after installing:
>
> $ oowriter
> OpenOffice.org for Debian - see /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian.gz
> running openoffice.org setup...
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/setup.bin: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> setup failed (code 0).. abort
> ---- Please read /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian.gz for known
> problems -----
>
> Do you understand this?

Ah, I knew there was a reason why I used "Pre-Depends: lib32gcc1"
before. 'apt-get install --reinstall ia32-libc6' should restore the
link.

mrvn@frosties:~% ls -lh /lib/i486-linux/libgcc_s.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 amd64-archive root 38 Jul 16 14:53 /lib/i486-linux/libgcc_s.so.1 -> /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

mrvn@frosties:~% dpkg -S /lib/i486-linux/libgcc_s.so.1
ia32-libc6: /lib/i486-linux/libgcc_s.so.1

mrvn@frosties:~% dpkg -S /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
lib32gcc1: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

> Thanks,
> Frank

MfG
        Goswin