Digital cameras [was: Re: Microsoft or MacOs executables]

On Thursday 14 July 2005 08:03, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> jmt said on Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:22:07PM +0200,:
>  > Nikon software is designed for Windows and Mac OS operating systems
>  > only  (this   does  not  include   the  server  versions   of  this
>  > software). Nikon do not have any plans at present to support Linux,
>  > UNIX or any other operating system.
> Ah. I  am looking around in the  market for a digital  camera, and now
> that Nikon is out of reckoning, my job becomes easier.

I have had good results with FujiFilm digital cameras .....  my first was an
ancient DX-5, RS232, 640x480 and only an optical viewfinder  {which was out
of true}  but I held onto it for ages.  It still took OK pictures for viewing
on-screen; and precisely because it was old and knackered, I took it places I
wouldn't dare take a more modern, expensive camera!  I ended up giving it to
my then-girlfriend's daughter when I bought a FujiFilm FinePix 2800 Zoom.
This was modern enough to have a USB connection  {though it used a
non-standard connector on the camera end -- modern appliances seem to have
settled on a common miniature connector}  and simply behaved like a disk
drive, so it responds to fdisk and mount.  Of course, you can also use the
memory cards in a slot reader; but there's a school of thought that this
removal and reinsertion is inviting damage.

Though only a 1.92 megapixel sensor, this camera actually takes very good
pictures, proving that it's the lens that makes the difference.  {Physical
size of the image sensor is also important:  the bigger the sensor, the more
electrical charge it can store.  Light falling on the sensor causes the
charge to leak away.  More charge means it can handle more light before
saturating, meaning better contrast in a wider range of conditions.}  And the
6x optical zoom is very nice.  Unfortunately, there is no optical viewfinder:
there is the usual 4cm. LCD screen, and a small but very clear LCD finder.
This is great for daylight shots, but useless in poor lighting conditions.
Which is a shame, because this camera has a powerful flash and takes great
shots with a little effort.

Check out this review of what might well be my next digital camera:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/12/review_fuji_finepix_f10/
Like the 2800, it lacks an optical viewfinder, but it seems to make up for it
in other ways.  It can't be used with disposable batteries in an emergency,
but the supplied rechargeable is supposed to be good for 500 shots.

BTW, I have written some little utilities for digital photography:  locating a
camera / reader, creating a mountpoint entry, index pages, thumbnails &c.  If
anybody is interested, e-mail me.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk