Re: udev badness!

Andrei Mikhailovsky <andrei@arhont.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 18:26 +0200, GOMBAS Gabor wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:20:44AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
>> And btw, the latest udev will not even _install_ if you are not running
>> a 2.6.12 kernel. You upgraded too early...
>>
> Well, it did install and it did brake my system a bit, which has never
> happened since about 1999 when i first moved to unstable branch of
> debian. I think there should be a warning where user can opt to choose
> no and skip the installation of the package that doesn't run without the
> package that is not even available for unstable branch. This way, user
> can choose for himself instead of trusting the system updates (a
> microsoft way of updating things).

There is, it is called apt-listbugs. But even that only works if
someone reported a bug already. Sometimes you are the first to notice
a breakage.

>> > udev should probably declare a dependency on
>> > a kernel image of version 2.6.12 or later, which would have prevented it
>> > from being installed (due to unmet dependencies).
>>
>> No. udev should _not_ depend on any kernel pacakges. There are many
>> users who build their own kernels and therefore do not have any
>> kernel-image packages installed at all. udev must still work in this
>> situation.
>>
> True, i don't think it should tie the dependence to the kernel. Way too
> many people use custom build kernels and it will make them upset. I was
> using custom build kernels before and only recently switched to debian
> stock kernel, which pleases me in every way.

Also, having kernel-image-2.6.12-whatever installed by no means means
that you are actualy running it or that you will keep running it in
the future. There just isn't a way to ensure you boot a 2.6.12+
kernel.

>> I think there were way too few significant breakages in unstable lately
>> and new people are not used to how unstable really works (especially at
>> the beginning of a new release cycle).

It's been so long since the last release. :)

MfG
        Goswin