Re: udev badness!

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> Le 13.07.2005 16:32:51, Andrei Mikhailovsky a écrit :
>

>>> Hello to all debian users.
>>>
>>> I've recently upgraded udev to 0.62-4 and restarted my pc just to find
>>> out that apparently, udev 0.62 only works with kernels 2.6.12 and up,
>>> which is not available for debian yet. My question is shouldn't you
>>> first make sure that the kernel is available in the repository before
>>> releasing the udev upgrade? This is one of the things that might
>>> happen
>>> to gentoo users, as their updates usually brake things all over the
>>> place, especially if you don't upgrade for a month or so. But debian
>>> used to be so conservative in that sense. Has the debian upgrading
>>> policy changed?
>

> If you are using sid, you are an unstable system...

This kind of misses the point.  It's not the stability of the code, but
whether or not the packaging system has sufficient information about
dependencies for this package.  When this version of udev migrates into
testing it will still cause just as many problems (and for a much
greater number of users).  udev should probably declare a dependency on
a kernel image of version 2.6.12 or later, which would have prevented it
from being installed (due to unmet dependencies).  This is kind of
sticky for folks who use stock kernels but not make-kpkg, but if the
package doesn't work at all without that version of the kernel, it seems
prudent.

tony