switch to amd64, need help

hi

my old PC at office is , well, old (it is an AthlonXP 1600, but
it supports 2 users and 2 webservers at the same time...);
I will be probably buy a new CPU, M/B, RAM ;
my current idea is to buy an AMD Athlon64 3000 socket 939 (and Asus A89 M/B).

I would need to know these facts, though:

0) when I buy a new CPU-M/B-RAM, I usually enjoy to mount them in my
old case, connect all cards and drives, and reboot the system (this is
one of the feats where Debian rules and Win*s sucks - after my last
upgrade at home, I was never able to boot into Win*s again). Is this
possible when switching to Athlon64 ? Does it boot an install of
Debian for i386?

1) googling thru the list I read that in the past it was not
possible to upgrade from the i386 to amd64 and that people need to
reinstall. What is the current situation ? Is there any simpler way
(=tweak) to start using  amd64 packages (for example, can I install
the kernel for amd64 into the i386 Debian ?
(AFAI understand this is called "multiarch" and is a goal for etch,
so maybe it is too early).

thanks in advance for all the help

a.

ps: I am a DD , so if I buy this Athlon64, I will join the porting effort...

ps2 : yes the above question 1 seems a bit confused ... indeed I am
 confused by this fact that Athlon64 runs 32 bit code ... I googled
 around but still did not understand this fact completly

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)