Re: Filesystem stability?

On 10:40, Tue 12 Jul 05, Pete St. Onge wrote:
> I've been using XFS on AMD64 on a 3ware array for about a year as well.
> I changed kernels a couple of times (I usually use vanilla kernel.org
> kernels), and it's a pretty happy machine.
>
> -- pete
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:06:33AM +0200, Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:
> > Dne út 12. ??ervence 2005 3:18 Mark Ferlatte napsal(a):
> > > I've heard rumours that some of the Linux filesystems aren't as stable
> > > as they should be on AMD64; in particular, I've heard of bad things
> > > happening with JFS and XFS.
> > >
> > > That being said, I can't find anything even approaching authoritative,
> > > so I thought I'd ask:
> > >
> > > What filesystems are you guys using, and anyone had any bad experiences?
> >
> > I'm using XFS more than year on AMD64 without troubles (on both desktop and
> > server).
> >
> > Mixi
> >

> --
> Pete St. Onge
> pete at seul.org
>

> --

I would consider what file system tools you need, for
example if you plan on resizing your partitions a lot, XFS
might not be the best choice. As in XFS you can always go
bigger, but its a pain to go smaller. I would do a search of
google for the proper tools, make sure that those tools are
what you need.

The point about the bug reports are valid in my book, if a
company does not have the time to dedicate bug fixes, or
lack of development maybe a new filesystem is in order.

Its kind of like what flavor of ice cream one person likes,
some like vanilla, some strawberry, etc ... I do find in my
situation that I have caused most of my crashes, for example
a keyboard locks up, or no matter what I do I can not get to
a terminal, so I hit the reset switch.

In a case like that I think any filesystem would have
problems, I have used Reiser3, XFS, ext3, I did have
corruptions in ext3, and Reiser3 but like I said it was
probably user induced, right now I am using XFS, and ext3 in
a boot partition. Its been pretty hardy when I have to hit
the reset button due to lockups.

In my case lockups happen due to the chipset I am using, I
have the old 760 amd chipset used in an old dual mp tyan
motherboard. These boards and chipsets are known to have
errata regardless of the kernel options I pass to it.

Gnu_Raiz