Sawfish problems

Hi,
I'm having some trouble with sawfish on my box. In particular:
- Middle mousebutton to get the config menu up crashes sawfish and makes
X unusable until I kill sawfish (ssh in still works).

- Window decorations are bunched up in the top left corner of the window
until it is resized. I can send a screenshot if anyone is interested.

- Window placement ignores the panels (which IMHO it shouldn't, but
can't check the config, see above...).

Does anyone else have similar problems? I know there isn't all too much
going on upstream with sawfish, but can anyone recommend me another
well-configurable WM for gnome?

Thanks!

~David