Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

David Wood wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

But you don't realy gain anything by multiarch for amd64. Only 3
things come to my mind: OpenOffice, Flash support and w32codecs +
32bit mplayer. And only OO is in Debian.

Maybe add wine to that list? (Disclaimer, haven't tried it lately)

I actually have a completely different question. I just re-read the multi-arch doc and two things jump out: first, it looks extremely non-controvertial, i.e. all parties should at least agree it's simple and right - there's nothing wrong with it; second, it looks there's no reason to wait to start.

Am I a bonehead or is it just a matter of moving some directories and symlinks around in etch and then the super-gradual process (many many years if you want) of migrating things from using the legacy symlinks to the multiarch dirs... Why wait to get started? What would break?

I have the same question. Is this being actively worked on right now? I am not a debian developer, but I do have some experience making packages, and I am a software developer. I will be purchasing an amd64 based system soon, and would not mind spending some time getting multi arch up and running.

Until sarge came out (and sid got gnome 2.10) I was going to do Ubuntu on my new system, but sid/etch and hoary are almost the same... Keep up the good work.