Re: Debian/Ubuntu/Redhat which is better for heavy duty computations?

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:

On 7/1/05, Alexandru Cabuz <alexcabuz@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows if there exist benchmarks done to
compare the performance for floating point computations (for example
lapack) on opteron with the Debian, Ubuntu and Redhat AMD 64 ports.

My research group recently got a couple of new multi-proc opteron
machines and even though they shipped with redhat enterprise, being a
fan of debian I was wondering if Debian AMD64 or Ubuntu might not be
better?  Has anybody compared performance systematically?

Hmm... for me they're all just distros. Virtually the same in terms of
"floating point computation capacity".

Well, what kernel you run can have significant impact. But for the rest, yeah, the distro binaries aren't likely to be the code that needs high performance.

What you typically need to look at are kernel and compilers, then possibly recompile some things in the distro if you use them heavily. Kernel might be less important now than it was a year or two ago though.

If you are a fan of debian, and you're the one that is supposed to maintain these machines, I suspect that running debian or ubuntu will be significantly less work for you. That's probably the biggest reason. :)

/Mattias Wadenstein