where are the startup messages?

Hello,

I was wondering if the messages displayed during startup are recorded
somewhere that can be consulted later. /var/log/dmesg and
/var/log/syslog do not actually contain **exactly** the same messages
displayed during startup. They contain something related but
different.

Kind of a newbie question...

Reason I'm asking is that I just rebooted my amd64 sid box after a
week of no interaction (was out of town came back and machine was
inexplicably slow) and I got a whole bunch of nasty messages. Here is
what I could see on the screen at the end of the boot sequence:

Buffer I/O underrun on device sda5, logical block 68243

ata1: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
ata1: error=0x40 {UncorrectableError}

SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
      Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 20181687
ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
ata1: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }
SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
      Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 20181688
/var: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while reading block 8530

JBD:Failed to read block at offset 8002
fsck.ext3: Input/output error while recovering ext3 journal of /var

fsck failed. Please repair manually.

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and continue system startup.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

So I boot off my knoppix CD and I try to mount the various partitions.
All of them mount except the home partition, the sda9. It's the one
where I had all my data.

Here is what knoppix's  dmesg | tail says after trying to mount it

ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
ata1: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }
<these same two lines above repeated four times>
SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
sda: Current: sense key=0x3
      ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x4
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39652779
JBD: IO error reading journal superblock
EXT3-fs: error loading journal.

So it's not lookin so good... I mean it's lookin real bad.

Does anybody know a way I could still try to recover my data on the
sda9 partition (formerly known as /home) ?

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Alex.