Re: Checkpoint Firewall Client on AMD64

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:22:55PM +1000, Pete wrote:
Thanks Clive, glad to see I'm not the only one in this position.

I have no intention of installing RedHat (I'd rather dual boot XP!), but I have seen somewhere on a Google search that FreeSwan will talk to Checkpoint, but as I know next to nothing about either at this stage, that sounds like a rather hard path to take, although I might be wrong.

Also, I thought FreeSwan was just for IPSec VPN's, but the company I'm working for now are talking PIN numbers and the VPN token, so it may not be that simple.

It is quite likely openswan (decendany of freeswan) can talk to
checkpoint, but that doesn't mean it can necesaily deal with any
proprietary authentication options they added.  If people use just the
normal features, interoperability is usually simple.  Add weird
complicated non standard features, and life becomes much harder if you
want to use any other vendors stuff.

You could always install a 32bit chroot and try to use the redhat
package in there (perhaps running rpm to extract it (not install it) or
alien to convert to a tar file, would let you place it in /usr/local of
the chroot and use it from there).

Len Sorensen
Thanks Len, I tried to install it in my ia32 chroot last night, but I was using my laptop from upstairs and XDMCP to my PC, so the display wasn't set in the chroot and I couldn't be bothered sorting that out at the time due to my current flu symptoms...

Anyway, I'll have another go at this while I'm sitting at my PC and see if that's a bit better.

I'll also see if I can find out today what the actual deal is in terms of if it's just plain IPSec or more than that.

Pete