base system installation error

Hello.  For the last two days I have been trying to install debian-amd64 on
various machines but have been getting the following error immediately after the
start of the base system installation phase of the installation:

[!!] Install the base system
Base system installation error
The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 2).

Failed to install the base system
The base system installation into /target/ failed.

Does anyone know why this is happening?  There do not seem to be any relevat
error messages in /var/log/messages.  All of the relevant mount points seem fine
and are writable.  All preceeding parts of the installation go off without a hitch.

The installation is from amd64.debian.net/debian-installer/daily/netboot/ from
6/6/2005.

Any thoughts at all?  Is there a outstanding bug I'm not aware of?  I did this
exact same installation on an identical machine less that a week ago with no
problems.

jamie.