Re: what are the missing ports?

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 01:15:49PM +0200, Lasse Bombien wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm about to buy e Turion MT32 notebook and I will install sarge amd64 on it.
> However, I'm trying to find out what packages are not ported yet. The links below
> are appearently broken...
>
> The other thing is the graphics card: Ati Radeon X700. Will I have a decent X
> server even if I don't use Ati's proprietary driver? Is there some generic driver?

If you check the archives of the mailing list, someone did try to
package up the ATI drivers for amd64 port, so you may be able to just
use those to install the drivers on your system.  At least the X700 is
listed as supported in those drivers.

There is a generic radeon driver which supports some radeons, but of
course only in 2D for the most part.  It does not support all radeons
though (I have had no luck with the one in a new Dell laptop someone got
at work.  It works if I load the radeonfb driver and use fb X driver.
Text mode does not work on the radeonfb driver though (only shows the
cursor) which I find rather odd.