Re: java plugin for firefox/galeon

El sáb, 28-05-2005 a las 14:10 +0200, Alexander Fieroch escribió:
> Javier Kohen wrote:
> > I understand Blackdown's JDK comes with the plug-in, but as far as I
> > know they haven't released a version 1.5 JDK yet. Meanwhile you can use
> > Blackdown's JDK 1.4.x, a 32-bit browser in a chroot, or help them
> > release :-)
>
> I know but I need jdk 1.5 and I'm wondering why sun released a 64bit
> version of java jdk and no java plugin for browsers. It can't be much
> difficult if there is a complete 64bit java jdk available.

And I wonder why they don't admit that their JIT compiler breaks on this
platform. There's a bug triggered by Eclipse's editor that makes it
pretty useless to run said software. I guess (notice the use of the word
guess) that the utmost reason is that they use GCC 3.2 to compile the
JDK and Mozilla is usually compiled with a newer GCC with incompatible
ABI. You'll find bug reports in Sun's BTS explaining that the JDK does
not compile with GCC 3.3 or newer, and that it's not trivial to fix. If
I recall correctly, the target release for a fix is Mustang (Java 6).

--
Javier Kohen <jkohen@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802