Re: USB timeout / "control timeout on ep0out"

I have this exact same problem. I've had it ever since I went to amd64, for a long long time now. Don't know if it's an amd64 thing, a particular-USB-chip thing, a debian/discover/hotplug thing, or a recent Linux kernel thing altogether. Interestingly, though, Graham's motherboard is completely different from mine, an Asus A8V deluxe (i.e. Via versus Nvidia chipsets)...

It used to freeze every 1 boot in 2, rather than 1 in 15! This was ugly, and I was morosely starting to learn the USB code in the kernel and watching kernel traffic/patches constantly for USB-related changes. Recent kernel upgrades have drastically reduced the frequency, but it still does happen once in a while. These intermittent problems are absolutely awful. I actually considered it fixed by now, but last night I saw it again for the first time in about three weeks.

Another thing I established about this problem: failure frequency seems to react positively or negatively (but in no way I could ever understand) to moving devices between ports, removing, or adding devices, hubs, etc. Of course, even if it's some device that's misbehaving, that's no reason for this kind of failure...