Re: LAN problems

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 07:06:52AM -0700, Attila Kocsis wrote:
> I've tried to install sarge-amd-64 on my PC by means
> of the netinstall CD, but had some troubles with the
> integrated Gigabit LAN. I have MSI K8T NEO FSR
> (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=496),
> on which there is an integrated Realtek? 8110S Dual
> layout LAN.

What is the PCI id of that network chip?

cat /proc/pci or lspci -n |grep 0200

> It says that there is no driver for the ethernet card,
> and the Packages.gz, where it is looking for that, is
> empty, anyway. So I couldn't finished the installation
> :(
>
> Does anybody know any sollution? Has using the
> netinstall CD worked for you properly? Is there any
> other way?

If the network chip has no driver in the kernel on the install CD, then
network install isn't going to do much good for you (unless you pop in a
cheap add in card that is supported).

I would have guessed the 8169 driver might run that chip, but I don't
know for sure.  I try to avoid anything with realtek in the name on
principle.

Here is what 2.6.10 lists on a grep for 8110:
drivers/net/r8169.c:    _R("RTL8169s/8110s",    RTL_GIGA_MAC_VER_D, 0xff7e1880),
drivers/net/r8169.c:    _R("RTL8169s/8110s",    RTL_GIGA_MAC_VER_E, 0xff7e1880)

Not sure what 2.6.8 had (don't have it handy) so if that is what the
install cd is using, it could be a problem too.