Re: OT- BBC "coverage" of Win Longhorn launch

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 03:24:22AM -0300, Javier Kohen wrote:
> Nice catch. Note that there is a "contact us" link in the same page that
> you can use to let the BBC 'producers' know about the missing
> information. Maybe if several of us let them know they'll write an
> article on Linux/AMD64 or something.

So if 64bit chips have been around since the 90s, and windows is only
going 64bit now, what were they doing?  Oh you mean those 64bit chips
had 64bit software since they were alpha and sparc and ran true64,
linux, solaris and whatever other 64bit unix they wanted.

Seems pretty irrelevant when 64bit chips came out, unless it is one you
would want to run windows on (I guess they never got 64bit windows on
the alpha did they).  What matters is when the 64bit x86 came out, which
is still a while ago.  I guess windows isn't written as cleanly (type
wise) as it ought to have been. :)

I also don't believe anything video related will run 1000 times faster
on 64bit than 32bit.

Nor do I believe 64bit makes things more secure than 32bit, unless
having to cleanup all the type sizes meant they had to fix their code.