Re: A new, unstable system, HW problem ???

jpahka@welho.com wrote:

Well I bought kingston value ram DDR400 512M * 2 for the athlon64 I
built and it works.  I have had good luck with kingston and crucial
personally.  I don't bother to "save" $10 per 512M anymore by getting
the generic stuff.  The last generic stuff I bought was a PC100 CL2
256M and it never did run stable faster than CL3 (so much for their
claim).

Well, just an update in my quest-for-a-stable-and-fast-debian-amd64-system :)

I went and replaced the memory modules yesterday to Kingston value ram. Better,
but not perfect. It's actually strange. I first booted the machine and it
reported some CMOS error...I then realised that the bios (and later memtest86)
reports the memory as DDR 333, although the packages in which I received the
memory said DDR 400? Anyhow, I set up the DRAM timings to DDR 333 in bios, and
after that it booted, ran memtest86 and even kernel compile + copying of a large
directory of files + watching a video *all at the same time* without problems
...yes, the last one was a psychologically important... :)

So, now I can be 100% certain that it was memory incompatibility, just as you
guys said! But I wont settle for DDR 333...out of principle I want to make this
perfect now that I've started the war ;)

So it's back to store for me, they recomended Buffalo memory yesterday, maybe
I'll give that a shot...

Thanks guys, I'm one step closer... juhis
Have you upgraded the BIOS? It seems Abit has made some changes to memory settings in later versions.

Personally, I don't even remember what every motherboard says about the memory speeds. To me, when it works and is sufficiently fast is the time when I lay back and ignore the details. If you want, I can go check some of the settings that my AV8 systems say about memory.

I do recall at least two people mentioning that in some setups, with some position of the moon etc, DDR400 memory doesn't function at more than DDR333 speed. Unfortunately, I never paid much attention to the details here.

/v\