Re: A new, unstable system, HW problem ???

Lainaus Kyuu Eturautti <vekotin@b2.fi>:
> jpahka@welho.com wrote:
>
> >Hi again,
> >
> >This is a collective answer, many thanks to all of you guys.
> >
> >So, the consensus seems to be memory problems, which is something that I
> >suspected myself. I haven't tested thoroughly yet but I will do more testing
> tonight (remove one of the memory units, run memtest86+..something else?).
> >

> Memtest86 usually works. Unfortunately, usually < always, but it's the
> best place to start. Often enough, memory problems can be diagnosed by
> certain behaviour, and what you're reported seems to drop into that
> category.

Ok, yesterday I ran the memtest86+ utility and indeed it showed some errors on
the test 5 of the test series (but the test 8 showed no errors). And this is
what the memtest86 webpage says...

"There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon
systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that
it is good...."

What do you guys think? Can I be relatively certain that it's infact the memory
modules that are just not compatible with amd64 + VIA K8T800 cobination? I think
I'm going to replace the ram since when I bought it I was going for some "abit
approved" memory, but the seller convinced me that "this is as good but cheaper" :)

I also ran the prime95 utility from mersenne.org and that also fails in the
first test. Don't know what to make of that, but somethings definately not right.

Anyhow, I want to thank you all alot for helping me out, this is what I call
great support :)

Thanks, juhis