Re: complete stop.

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 15:17, Javier Kohen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> El mié, 27-04-2005 a las 07:13 +0100, Grahame White escribió:
> > On a side note I found 2.6.11 to be glacially slow when compared to
> > 2.6.12rc3 compiled with the same .config file anyone else notice this?
>
> Are you using PREEMPT? From what I read in the 2.6.12-rc2 changelog, the
> conditional was inverted and everything was being preempted at the wrong
> moment. There were more nasty bugs on x86-64, but that one might explain
> some weird behavior I was having (e.g., gnome-terminal freezing
> occasionally until the mouse was moved).
>
> Funny thing that I never had a crash in the few months I was using
> preempted kernels on AMD64, until somebody mentioned the issue on the
> list. Then two crashes led me to disable the option until I can update
> to 2.6.12 (thanks ATI!).

I tried compiling both with and without preempt. In both cases 2.6.11 was
very very slow. As soon as I tried 2.6.12rc3 with the same .config file
the system became much more responsive and much faster in general too.

For example with 2.6.11 copying a 600MB file from one location on the
harddrive to somewhere else on the same drive resulted in transfer speeds
of roughly 1-2MB/s with 2.6.12 the same file was being transfered at 10
times that!

The only issue I had with 2.6.12rc3 was stability but a little tweaking of
my .config file seems to have fixed that.

Grahame