Re: debian-amd64 irc meeting: the results

Frank Hart <hart@opensystems.nl> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 04:06:01PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> > I tried trawling thru the irc log, but I'm not exactly sure what
>> > "testing-security" is going to be. Can someone clarify?
>
>> Security fixes for sarge till it is released. Security fixes for etch
>> after that.
>
> So will amd64 effectively (and unwillingly?) become a temporary pilot
> for Debian's second class citizen programme by releasing independently
> from sarge and supplying your own security team?
>
> I think it's great you guys put all this effort in maintaining such a
> good amd64 port. I've been using Debian for a few years now - server and
> desktop - and using Debian's amd64 port is well worth the occasional
> hassle.
>
> I also would like to help out with the port but am not sure where to
> start. Can someone give me some pointers besides memorizing the DFSG and
> Debian's social contract (done)?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Currently there is not that much to do and with the move everything is
in some flux. The port is basically done. Multiarch can't be attacked
with force before sarge it out and the release can't realy be hastend
by us.

There are a number of packages left that need porting but most need a
lot of work. There are a number of packages that fail to build
currently for which patches could be written.

A good place to look would be the recent mail by Andreas (on
debian-devel I think) about remaining amd64 issues in sarge or

http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/failed-testing.txt
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/needs-porting.txt
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/failed.txt
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/dep-wait.txt

Check the BTS for information on those packages before doing any work
though.

MfG
        Goswin