Re: A new, unstable system, HW problem ???

jpahka@welho.com wrote:

Hello list,

This mail might be partly off-topic, since I'm pretty sure it's my hardware
that's at fault and not debian-amd64, but I don't know where else to ask, so I thought I'd try here, thanks for you patience... :)

So, the situation is, that I upgraded my computer on weekend, with the following components:

AMD64 3200+ (Winchester core)
Abit AV8 mobo
Seagate 7200.8 250Gb sata harddrive
2x512Mb 64bit DDR memory (M-Tec, Twinmos MT6464400D I quess)
I've got several production systems with the Abit AV8 and actually I think pretty much the exact same hard disks in at least two systems, though with Kingston Value RAM memory. I'm quite ready to give the AV8 my personal rock solid recommendation.

I agree with other posts - check the memory settings. Run memtest86.com to be sure. I haven't had any SATA issues with the Via controller, in fact everything from Via has functioned perfectly with Athlon 64's, including SATA and PATA hard disks.

However - and I'm not sure if this is the same case here, I had some similar crash issues earlier. It was an MSI motherboard with Via K8T800 (the AV8 has K8T800 Pro), a single SATA drive and several kernel versions from 2.6.8 to 2.6.10 I believe. Crashes occured exactly the same way, after intense hard disk use. The fault was in the memory, which was M-Tech Twinmos as in your case. However - memtest86.com did not always detect the fault. However, after the memory was replaced with a Kingston module, it did not occur anymore.

So, this could have been either of the two: either the memory module was faulty, or perhaps the Twinmos memory didn't function well with the motherboard, perhaps by reporting wrong speed or something. I'm no memory expert but this was a guess from another friend.

/v\