Re: Xorg Installation

To share my (positive) experiences with Xorg - my reason to try Xorg
is the translucency and shadows which indeed looks pretty smart
(particularly with the Baghira theme (kwin-baghira) the result is very
much Mac OS X-like... if you like it).

The whole works reasonably fast on my machine (Athlon64 3200+, Nvidia
GeForce FX 5700 LE), however, if you REALLY need performance and e.g.
changed to xfce because KDE is too slow for you then the following is
probably not for you.

And... this is for the desktop fraction only ;-)

The packages listed by John at the beginning of this thread are a good
start, and you need to try a bit to find the correct order to solve
all dependencies. You find the Ubuntu archives e.g. at
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/, and in my case I had to
grab some more packages from there, particularly all the required
dev-packages. Easiest is you download all amd64-packages from the
xorg-directory.

Your existing XF86Config-4 can be copied to xorg.conf, and in order to
start X somewhere during the installation you should temporarily set
"nvidia" to "nv" (in xorg.conf).

After having resolved everything, you can (re-)install KDE 3.4 (e.g.
from http://people.debian.org/~killer/amd64), and you need to go to
Ubuntu for some more packages to resolve dependencies.

Then re-install the nvidia drivers. The exisiting Debian driver
packages (nvidia-kernel-source, nvidia-glx etc.) work perfectly for me
- this has been questioned earlier in this thread. If you had the
nvidia drivers running with XFree86 then just do the same procedure
again - and set "nv" to "nvidia" again. Restart X, and check glxgears.

For translucency to work you need the 'kompmgr' which is compiled into
kwin - not in Debian, but Ubuntu's kwin again works well here as well.

Then I had to insert the following two options in the Device section
of my nvidia card in xorg.conf:

        Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
        Option          "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"

Restart X. Translucency/Shadows can be configured in Control Center/
Window properties/ Translucency. In 'Effects' I have disabled the
fade-in options because these cause a really slow appearance.

We will see how many other and more difficult dependencies there will
be in the future by mixing the packages, and hopefully Debian will
catch up with the Xorg packages not too far in the future. But for
now, and for testing the new features of Xorg and KDE 3.4, this seams
to be a way to go.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn