Re: installing nvidia driver for pci express 6600GT?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:08:47AM +0200, Alexander Fieroch wrote:
> It all seems to be ok but it does not work.
> So I think I'm going back to 32bit linux and xfree86 till stable release
> of sarge. Then I'll try it again.
>
> For other people having problems with the nvidia driver and perhaps the
> same hardware - thats my current system:
> CPU: Pentium 4 630
> Board: Asus P5GD2 Premium
> Graphic: MSI Nvidia 6600GT PCI Express

Well I have no idea about the P4 systems.  I don't consider them an
option worth looking at.

But what should work is something like this:

(assuming xfree86 is installed and not x.org)
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source module-assistant kernel-headers-`uname -r`
m-a -t prepare nvidia
m-a -t build nvidia
m-a -t install nvidia
apt-get -f install
apt-get install nvidia-glx
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (select nvidia as driver, rather than
nv).A
echo "nvidia" >> /etc/modules
modprobe nvidida

Attempt to run X and see what happens.