Re: amd64 into mainstream

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Christopher Browne wrote:

As far as I can see, the main merit of Ubuntu isn't anything to do
with "desktop" support, but rather to do with the fact that it is
several years more up to date than Debian/stable.

and with the fact that installing Ubuntu is possible for my mother, while I had to visit her to install Debian Sarge :-) By the way I never understood why the debian community never released a "nice" installation menu...

It may well be that there is room for two systems:

1.  Debian, as the "grand collector of package updates," and

2.  Ubuntu, as the folks that actually create release candidates on
some reasonably regular schedule.

That's true, but it could also be the case of Stable/sarge vs sid. Anyway this would implie a compatibility between ubuntu packages and debian packages, and it already seems that some ubuntu packages can't be install on Sarge, even if I have not checked personaly the later, and may be spreading rumors founded by debian fundamentalist :-)

Best

Julien Tailleur