Re: Problem running service

On 4/16/05, Colin O'Keeffe <cokeeffe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed ldap, apache and a few others from the source, but when i
> try to start them they take ages and then they dont start and iam left
> with a prompt! whats up? firewall? i havent configured one....

Usually that means that your DNS is not set up correctly. Try
"hostname", which tells you what the computer thinks it is called, and
then "host `hostname`" (those are backticks). That should immediately
return your IP address. Also "host localhost" should return 127.0.0.1.
Ping to both addresses should work.

If it does not, your first stop is to check /etc/hosts, and then
/etc/resolv.conf.

Thomas