Radeon 9600 acceleration?

Hi,

first of all, thank's a lot for the amd64 port despite all the odds of
the Debian infrastructure. 64bit userland rocks, and it feels
significantly faster than i386 userland.

But I can't get 3D acceleration to work with my Radeon 9600. I know
that 3D acceleration with binary only drivers is always difficult to
set up, but whatever I try, it either does no recognise the
acceleration, or it crashes the moment I run glxgears or fgl_glxgears.

My system is the pure64 port of sarge. I have upgraded my X server to
the ubuntu version of Xorg 6.8, because XF86 3.3 would not set the
correct refresh rate for my dual screen setup. I am running a custom
build of kernel 2.6.10, and I try to install the ATI X11 driver
fglrx64_6_8_0-8.10.19-1.x86_64.rpm. I have tried just about any option
I can imagine, build in and native agpgart, many different settings in
the X11 config file, but I did not get it to work.

Has anybody a recommendation? Shall I try to go back to XF86 4.3? A
new version (8.12.10) is released by ATI, but the release notes only
mention cosmetical changes, so I am not sure whether it is worth
trying. Has anyone managed to get a Radeon 9600 working?

And I think i should give kernel 2.6.11 a try, since it has updates in
the AGPgart module. ATI version 8.10.19 did not compile with 2.6.11,
but maybe 8.12.10 does? Again, no mentioning of it in the release
notes...

My system is a Asrock K8 Combo-Z with a Winchester Athlon64 3000+. I
have a single module of 512 MB RAM. I use two screens, one TFT and and
one CRT, both at 1280x1024.

Thomas