Re: Radeon 9600 acceleration?

Thomas Steffen wrote:
(...)
But I can't get 3D acceleration to work with my Radeon 9600. I know
that 3D acceleration with binary only drivers is always difficult to
set up, but whatever I try, it either does no recognise the
acceleration, or it crashes the moment I run glxgears or fgl_glxgears.

My system is the pure64 port of sarge. I have upgraded my X server to
the ubuntu version of Xorg 6.8, because XF86 3.3 would not set the
correct refresh rate for my dual screen setup. I am running a custom
build of kernel 2.6.10, and I try to install the ATI X11 driver
fglrx64_6_8_0-8.10.19-1.x86_64.rpm. I have tried just about any option
I can imagine, build in and native agpgart, many different settings in
the X11 config file, but I did not get it to work.

Has anybody a recommendation? Shall I try to go back to XF86 4.3? A
new version (8.12.10) is released by ATI, but the release notes only
mention cosmetical changes, so I am not sure whether it is worth
trying. Has anyone managed to get a Radeon 9600 working?

Hi,

I have X600 XT which, as far as I know, is based on a similar or the same chip as 9600, but it's for PCI-e. Other relevant configuration:

- Athlon64 3000+, 939 pins
- 2 x 512 RAM
- Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard
- XFree86 4.3
- kernel 2.6.11 (no recompilation, as installed by apt-get)

I use the driver from Flavio Stanchina's page, the newest version from recent weeks, 8.10.19-2, which works with 2.6.11 kernel. I simply followed the instructions on Flavio's page (http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html). Don't worry, you don't need to rekompile the kernel -- just copy the appropriate config from /boot to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.11.

3D acceleration is working perfectly. This is my fglrxinfo output:

adam@dniewnik:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X600 XT Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4893 (X4.3.0-8.10.19)

With fgl_glxgears I get around 600 FPS. I don't know if this is much, but all 3D games seem to work very smooth, so I'm not investigating it any further.

And I think i should give kernel 2.6.11 a try, since it has updates in
the AGPgart module. ATI version 8.10.19 did not compile with 2.6.11,
but maybe 8.12.10 does? Again, no mentioning of it in the release
notes...

See above, Flavio's 8.10.19-2 works with 2.6.11.

My system is a Asrock K8 Combo-Z with a Winchester Athlon64 3000+. I
have a single module of 512 MB RAM. I use two screens, one TFT and and
one CRT, both at 1280x1024.

Apart from 2 basic modules from Flavio, you will need to install his additional fglrx-control package which enables you to configure 2 screens with a click of a mouse.

--
Adam Podstawczynski