Re: gcc-3.4 archive

On Monday 04 April 2005 3:16pm, Javier Kohen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using the /gcc-3.4 archive from Alioth. Is there any
> difference among that one, debian-gcc-3.4 and debian-pure64-3.4? I mean
> a user-noticeable difference, I've read archive-structure and I think I
> understand, but gcc-3.4 isn't mentioned there and I don't really know
> what the consecuences of arch:all being rebuilt on amd64 are.
>

> Thanks for your advice,

I asked the same question just a few weeks ago.  :)

gcc-3.4 began, and still is, an experimental branch of pure64 using a later
version of gcc.  It began by using gcc-3.4 for building itself, hence its
name, and is now almost completely converted over to gcc-4.0.  As I
understand it, it will always remain an experimental branch and at some point
in the distant future, when pure64 upgrades to gcc-4.0, will simply go away.
For starting out with AMD64, you should stick with pure64 (now called
debian-pure64 on alioth).