Re: Trouble getting nvidia driver running

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:17:02PM -0700, Jacob Bresciani wrote:
> I seem to remember a problem where nvidia didnt put the glx driver in
> the right place and a softlink needed to be inserted to fix it. But that
> involved one of either /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> or /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so not existing (can't
> remember which) and after the apt-get dist-upgrade I ran this morning
> the lib64 no longer exists.

I would have thought that would be fixed in the debian packages for the
nvidia driver.  If not it should be.  I don't run 3rd party
binaries/installers unless absolutely necesary (bad Windows trait after
all).

> I also just noticed I'm running the 6629 driver, downloading the new one
> and will try it.
>
> Another thing, your refresh rates are set kinda low for HorizSync and
> VertRefresh. they are comming out in the logs as being 28.00-49.00 kHz
> and 43.00-72.00 respectively. personally I'd change at least VertRefresh
> to 60-85 at least but it might be right for your monitor.

I was trying to set it to something low enough to be ok for the crap
monitor I am using.  I think I will try a newer monitor that I have
specs for and put in real values just in case.

> A bad refresh rate would let X start but could result in some monitors
> turning off as a self protect measure.

True, but I had not thought of them being to low causing a problem.  I
should check that.