Re: Idea for structure of Apt-Get

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> The problem with ISPs with transparent proxies is that many of them
> are broken. Broken to a point that you can't fix it.

Agreed.  I am currently working behind such a broken proxy.  It gives
me no end of trouble!  It is one of the reasons that I really must
maintain my own full mirror of the global depots.  At least then local
clients to the local mirror work and problems getting offsite are
limited to updating the mirror.

I switched to using socks and rsync as the transport protocol with
debmirror to avoid the bad behavior of rsync.  That solved most of my
problems as the corp folks have not deduced a way to mess with that
access route.  But I dislike socks.  I really wish we had a modern
network at work and not something from twenty years ago.

Now before I hear from the 'net how rsync is hard on servers, and I
agree there, it is really only being used in a hard way on Packages
files.  The other files are all named uniquely and so the result is a
simple file copy using the same cpu as an http transfer.  I don't
believe it is server hard when used with debmirror.

Bob