Re: debian-installer using 2.6.10

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:16:27PM -0800, Joel Johnson wrote:
> Hrmm, what is the best approach to getting access to the proper scsi
> module then? I looked in the mailing list archives for d-i and this one,
> but couldn't find mention of this. Also, what problems were exhibited
> with 2.6.10? Joey Hess posted a proposal recently on the d-i list lately
> suggesting using 2.6.11 on the post-rc3 development.

There were various problems with grub.  One of them is that it's
using an executable stack (see bugs.debian.org/293722) and the
2.6.10 kernel changed the default of the noexec.

We've changed debian-installer to set noexec=off to work around
this but people still complained that grub didn't work properly
with the 2.6.10 kernel so I reverted the kernel to 2.6.8.

We're working on 2.6.11 kernel.  As you might have noticed it was
announced a few days ago that their is a 2.6.11 kernel in the
archive and we would like to get d-i working with that kernel.

There are still some old versions with the 2.6.10 kernel
available in the /debian-installer directory.  The first one is
from 2005-02-04 and the last one is from 2005-02-14.  I suggest
the latest of those if you really want to try it.  Also, I
suggest you try to use the monolithic version and not the netboot
one.

Kurt