Re: mozilla-thunderbird and enigmail problem

doubletwist@fearthepenguin.net wrote:
> I did an update last night. I wasn't paying attention but it removed
> mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail. This morning when I tried to open
> thunderbird, it doesn't open.
> First of all the mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail packages requires
> thunderbird < 1.0.0 but 1.0.2-1 is installed, so I can't reinstall
> enigmail. I looked at the debian bug track system, and it says that it's
> been fixed. Obviously it hasn't gotten to pure64 yet. :)
> Secondly, now even without enigmail, thunderbird does not open at all.
> Running from the console, it gives no output, but never opens.
> Am I alone in my problem here or does anyone else see this?

Were you using pure64 or gcc-3.4? I was using gcc-3.4 and I had pretty
much the same problem. Here's how it went. Most of this happened yesterday.

1. After an apt-get upgrade, thunderbird kept segfaulting on an email my
mom sent me, but would start up again and run just fine.

2. Thunderbird segfaulted on a mail in this list and wouldn't start up
again. It just segfaulted whenever I tried to run it.

3. I got fed up, changed my sources.list to point to pure64, and ran
apt-get update.

4. I ran apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird, and there was a newer
version in pure64 than there was in amd64. It wouldn't install, though,
because /usr/sbin/update-mozilla-thunderbird-chrome kept segfaulting. I
ended up symlinking update-mozilla-thunderbird-chrome to /bin/true and
then purging all the thunderbird packages I had.

5. I ran apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird and it went fine. I
couldn't install mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail, though, because of the
problem you reported.

6. Apt-get update this morning fixed it. Now I have enigmail.

I don't know what the state of enigmail in gcc-3.4 is now. I might let
pure64 gradually replace gcc-3.4 on my system until such time as gcc 4.0
(the compiler) is released. Since most (all?) of the gcc-3.4 archive is
now built with gcc 4.0, I'm getting nervous about stability.

-Corey