Re: NDIS problem on amd64-pure install

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 02:16 -0600, Donald Spoon wrote:
> I am unable to get the built-in 802.11g/b device to work.  It is an
> INPROCOMM IPN2220 wireless chipset, and it is supposed to work with the
> ndiswrapper program from Source Forge.  I have d/l the ndiswrapper
> source, compiled it with the same gcc as my kernel (3.4) and have
> obtained the Windows XP drivers and installed them per the instructions.
>   A "ndiswrapper -l" shows the hardware present and the drivers loaded.
>   A "modprobe ndiswrapper" works without complaint, but the "iwconfig"
> command doesn't show any wlan0 or other devices for wireless!  Looking
> at the logs givess the following 4-line message:
>
> ndiswrapper version 1.1 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
> ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:145): Windows driver is not 64-bit; bad magic:

ndiswrapper on amd64 in native 64-bit mode requires Windows XP 64-bit
drivers - the "standard" 32-bit XP drivers won't work.  Thus, are you
sure you were able to get hold of 64-bit XP drivers?  (I know, I had
the same experience, but it's somewhat comforting to know that the
miracle of proprietary binary-only drivers is hitting back at Windows
users too every time a major shift takes place on that Other Platform.)

-ukh