Re: Idea for structure of Apt-Get

Patrick Carlson wrote:

Hello.  I'm not sure if anyone has suggested something like this or
not but I was thinking about the apt-get system and bittorrent today. What if the apt-get system was redesigned so that users could download
updates and upgrades from other users?  This way they would trickle
out to people, slowly at first, but then more and more people would
have the update and thus more people could get it faster.  I know
Faster than what? Today's system is very fast: One user (maintainer) uploads a new version and everybody
have instant access to it as soon as they do the "apt-get upgrade".
No "slow trickle at first."

there would probably be a lot of security issues involved but then
maybe people wouldn't have to worry about setting up .deb mirrors and
trying to get the latest upgrades.  Just a thought.  If it's a bad
one, let me know. :)
Oh, you're worried about the internet slowing as everybody
upgrade and downloads the same stuff?  There is a much
better solution to this, and it is called "caching proxies".  Many an ISP
have a caching proxy already, that caches both ftp and http which is
the protocols usually used by apt over the net.  Caching proxies have
two big advantages over changing apt:

* Nothing have to be done to apt at all!
* Proxies also cache other things than debian packages.

Helge Hafting