Re: 32bit chrooted apps can't use OpenGL .

If you don't mind building a package or using the stock kernel, you should be able to get the 7167 drivers going without too much issue. In summary:

* start with a stock source tree of 2.6.11, configured for your box
* install the nvidia-kernel-source package with apt
* build and install the binary modules package
* install the nvidia-glx package with apt

At this point, your 64-bit setup should run fine. To use GL inside the 32-bit chroot, you need to install the nvidia-glx package there as well, but you're going to run into a dependency problem (or you're going to have to build the nvidia-kernel-2.6.11 package inside the chroot, which is what you've run into). A quick fix to this is, inside the chroot:

cd /tmp
apt-get source nvidia-glx
cd nvidia-graphics-drivers-1.0.7167
vi debian/control
(remove "nvidia-kernel-#VERSION#" from the Depends: line for nvidia-glx)
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
sudo dpkg --install nvidia-glx_1.0.7167-1_i386.deb

I think the process raises an interesting question about support for chroots in general. It seems like it would be helpful to differentiate between Depends and something like Kernel-Depends, since in general you'll never be able to actually satisfy Kernel-Depends for packages inside of the chroot (which is to say, since you're not running those modules, you're just using up disk space).

A fairly simple work-around would be to have packages like nvidia-graphics-drivers build a dummy nvidia-kernel-chroot package that provided the nvidia-kernel-#VERSION# package, but I don't know if that would be palatable to the non-chrooting community at large.

Cheers,
tony

Zaq Rizer wrote:
There's a lot of unfortunate back story to this, but I'll spare you all and give you the current-day situation, as it stands, after a fresh complete reinstall:

Because I cannot install the latest (7167) nvidia drivers via the method listed in the HOWTO on alioth, I've attempted installing them via nvidia's own installer. It worked just fine, although it warned me that I should be running 2.6.11+. Then about two hours later, I found out as X crashed in a flaming ball of death. So, I rolled back to 6629 (using nvidia's own drivers). These work perfectly, as they did before.

However. In the 32bit chroot, I have installed 7167 via apt-get install, because, as far as I can tell, there is no way to install 6629 from nvidia's own installer (because it complains that it's an amd64 system, even while in the chroot) and the only version available in my unstable 32bit chroot is 7167. So in lieu of installing 2.6.11 (which I'll probably end up doing, but I've gotten rather happy with debian-provided kernels) what other options do I have? Any idea when 2.6.11.X will be available in sid/amd64?

Thanks,
Zaq