Re: Buildtime woes and other stuff

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:36:50PM +0100, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> I've stopped using ATI graphics drivers - they are regularly out of date,
> and they have no process in place for submitting patches. Most of what bugs
> these drivers is that they are coded to now deprecated interfaces, which can
> easily be fixed, but sending fixes over ATI customer support sucks - I
> tried.

Yeah I know. :)

> Which I cannot - it's the only MicroATX board I've found, and the chassis is
> MicroATX as well. I would need to: Get a new chassis, a new power supply
> (now with the chassis), a new motherboard and a separate graphics adapter,
> since the other boards I took a look at didn't have integrated graphics.

Well there is Asus K8S-MX, but is is an SiS chipset, which may or may
not be better than the ATI.  MSI K8MM-ILSR and K8TM-ILSR are Via based.
Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M is a Via as well.  Lots of choices (well maybe not
lots, but some).

> uATX was among the requirements. But I would have resisted and not bought
> the board, if I noticed the chipset was from ATI, too, knowing their FOSS
> policies. I'm the only one running Linux, so I'm the one stuck, while the
> others are fine running XP on the boxes I procured for them.

I don't buy anything I don't know the exact specifications of for a
computer.  Buy it once and buy it right.  I would rather have one good
piece of hardware than 3 subpar pieces of hardware (none of which quite
do the job).

> I would be perfectly fine with running with constant maximum speed, I want
> no changing clock speeds. May it be that the clock remains in "fast mode",
> while the CPU clock is reduced? This would explain the performance lags with
> kernel compiling!!! FreeBSD surely doesn't use frequency scaling etc. by
> default and would be immune to this, I guess, and this is why I've had no
> problems in *BSD! How can I switch to "max performance"?

Maybe the BIOS has some settings for this.