Re: i386 Wine on an amd64 without chroot

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:28:04AM -0500, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> Yes, for a full chroot environment, but I understood Alexander as saying he's
> not keeping a full chroot, just the apps and the libs they need
> under /emul/ia32-linux.  I would like to avoid the need for chroot
> alltogether as well as avoid wasting all that space to keep a largely
> redundant  environment just for a few apps that aren't yet available on
> amd64.  Am I understanding Alexander wrong?

A minimal debian install is only 200M or so, which with typical drive
sizes is nothing.  It allows trivial updates and such of 32bit packages
since you have a real 32bit environment to handle downloading and
installing the 32bit packages.  If and when debian gets biarch support
this problem will go away.  Besides most of the stuff you end up with in
the chroot is the libs you are required to have anyhow to run 32bit
programs.