Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

Oliver writes:

What is a normal build-time for a 2.6.11 kernel with reasonable hardware support (USB,
SATA, ATA, On-Board Sound, Firewire ...), with many features compiled into the kernel?

+++++++++++++++++++

I just built the 2.6.11 kernel from the kernel.org bz2 with a surprising result:

   BUILD   arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage
 Root device is (8, 3)
 Boot sector 512 bytes.
 Setup is 5175 bytes.
 System is 1685 kB
 Kernel: arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage is ready
   Building modules, stage 2.
   MODPOST

 real    3m15.301s
 user    2m52.370s
 sys     0m20.257s
 root@workstation:/usr/src/linux> screendump >> screendump-23mar05.txt

-----

This was worse than using the debian kernel-source package for 2.6.10!

Both times I built everything into the kernel with no modules at all. The
previous test included the debian patches to the kernel and putting the
kernel into a deb so this is a surprise.

Both times I built all of the eth0, USB, IDE and SCSI/SATA drivers into the
kernel except for the Promise and Firewire because those are disabled in the
BIOS. I also built the radeonfb with sun22x11? font into the kernel and the
DRI and AGP with alsa support. Also included were the I2C things for the
sensors. Neither time did I include 32bit compatibility mode.

The final kernel is 1685kB and works fine with loadlin.

So 2.6.11 is slower for some reason or else the debian kernel is patched
for fast building.

editor@postscript.port5.com
--
AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz  Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR  ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon