Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 09:39 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:34:39AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > kernel-source-2.6.10
> >
> > Jeez.  Athlon 2200+, 1GB RAM, 100GB ATA/133 drive, with a "desktop"
> > .config file (i.e., no low-level SCSI drivers, weird filesystems,
> > etc, but all USB, firewire, bluetooth, etc options chosen) and it
> > takes about 12 minutes.
> >
> > But, hmm, no DRI or fb and only 1 codepage, if that makes a diffie.
>
> Well if you turn of building of all the network, scsi, usb, etc modules
> then you cut a lot of time of the build.  The default debian config has
> almost all the drivers enabled as modules in case someone needs them.

True enough.

But who needs 25 Ethernet drivers, and 2 dozen chipset drivers?
(Except during install, of course.)

And how few modern desktops really need low-level SCSI drivers?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Note to LSU and Valdosta State students: India is not an Arab
country!
http://www.talonnews.com/news/2003/october/1009_college_dems_jind
al.shtml