VMWare Confusion/Clarification

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious from all my list and Google searching, but I'm a bit confused and need some clarification with VMWare GSX 3.1 and AMD64 Sarge (pure64).

Firstly, I've recompiled my kernel but only to put mppe support in as I need this for VPN access to work. I used "make oldconfig" to start with.

Did I do this wrong by not using gcc-3.4?

I've installed GSX server and run the vmware-any-any-update89 patch and it all apparently installs ok.

However, when running vmware-console, the window pops up, but when I try to connect to the localhost, it just locks up.

I get these messages on boot up:

vmmon: no version for "sys_ioctl" found: kernel tainted.
/dev/vmmon[3363]: Module vmmon: registered with major=10 minor=165
/dev/vmmon[3363]: Module vmmon: initialized
/dev/vmnet: open called by PID 3389 (vmnet-bridge)
/dev/vmnet: hub 0 does not exist, allocating memory.
/dev/vmnet: port on hub 0 successfully opened
bridge-eth0: enabling the bridge
bridge-eth0: up
bridge-eth0: already up
bridge-eth0: attached

Also, vmware-mui claims it cannot find libdb.so.3 yet locate says it exists in /lib.

Can anyone please clarify these queries for me?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Pete