Re: MSI K8N Neo Platinum Installation Report & GRUB/LILO troubles

I recently bought the following system:
    - AMD64 3200+ (socket 754)
- MSI K8N Neo Platinum
I've the same MoBo...

I started my journey having in mind to install the Sid's Debian
pure64, and knowing I might (or might not) have some problems doing
it, as this motherboard isn't in the supported/tested k8 motherboards
list.
... the list really needs an update. Lot of us posted new working MoBo informations here.

Altough I had Sid in mind, I started to burn the latest netinst iso
from from Sarge since it was a newer (20/03/2005). Well, it didn't
Can't say anyting about that version, but I used a SID iso dated on 9/3/2005.

work, and it seemed to me that the nforce3 250 was not properly
handled, possibly because it might use a kernel prior to the
nforce3-250_trouble_free_2.6.10. I have to say I found it odd the date
Huam. At the time of installing, I used P-ATA disks. S-ATA is working here, but I installed a newer kernel somewhen.

I must say I was getting frustrated and disappointed. At that time I
Do you have the chance of installing a minimal system on a P-ATA disk ?
If so, you could do a minimal install, make some online updates including the newest kernel.
After that you could copy your system to your S-ATA pair.

(altough I was pleasently suprised to know that the X detected my new
Nvidia 6600GT!).
Well, I've a NVidia Quadro. AFAIK they use the same driver.
BTW: I used the first time the Debian NVidia package (instead the one from NVidia), and the compiling/installing stuff worked really fine !

installed me the base system. So far so good (kind of :P ). My main
(unsolved) problems began when I tried to to install GRUB.
Yeees. I've had that troubles too. grub-install and "setup" from the grub shell does mostly a segfault.
Booting with grub worked at my side, but with a scrambled boot-screen.
I used a normal (IA32) grub install to get a working grub installation.

Any hints on how to install a bootloader sucessfully?
As said, I installed grub from within a normal IA32 system. You may try with a grub disk build on a IA32 system too.

Cya
 Joerg