Re: HD based net install nok for AMD64

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 04:54:10PM -0500, Tong wrote:
> I used to use initrd and vmlinuz from
> http://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media
> to do HD-based net install. so that,
>
> - there would be no CDs burning/wasting

Answer: CD-RW

> - work 10 times faster than installing from CD.

Probably not.  Besides where on the HD would this be.  I would have to
get it there somehow, and partition the disk somehow.  How would I do
that?  I don't have any other OS on my machine.

> It seems that I can't do it with AMD64 now. The error was can't get files
> from CD. So you see, the error was weird -- the sarge-amd64-netinst.iso
> loaded, started properly, worked normally all the way pass the disk
> partitioning, then stopped there.
>
> Any similar experience?

Probably 99.9% of people want to boot and install from CD.  It is the
simplest to do too.

The only HD install I have ever done was a DecStation 5000 since it had
broken tftp boot in the firmware and I had no clue how to MOP boot at
the time (I now do, so the HD install image that was such a pain to dd
into the disk since I had to find a machine that could run an old scsi 1
disk.)