java plugin for firefox

Hi,

under my old 32 bit AMD, I was running debian and had no trouble to use the java runtime environment plugin for firefox. I had downloaded and installed the .bin from blackdown and made the sym link /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugin/libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/local/.../libjavaplugin_oji.so

I tryed to follow the same protocol with my new amd64 system (both for sun java and blackdown java), but without success:

ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 2005-03-16 08:26 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/local/jre1.5.0/lib/amd64/libjava.so

the about:plugins page of firefox stays empty of any sign of any java plugin.
Any guess?

Julien Tailleur