Re: libc6 install problem (SOLVED)

On (14/03/05 03:50), Superuserman wrote:
> Clive writes:
>
> >>What is the installer type and date used here?
> >sarge-amd64-netinst.iso 11January05 (it is the same image I used to
> >install my production system)  Should I download and try the latest one
> >instead?
>
> That old installer has many problems including the problem
> with the /lib64 symlink. Any sarge-amd64-netinst.iso since
> 20Feb05 should be fine.
Well, I got off very lucky first time around 'cos I had a fairly
clean install.

> >>What is the sources.list used?
> >I've tried both of these:
> >deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
> >deb-src http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
>
> If you want sid then download the current
> sid-amd64-netinst.iso and use the above sources.list or
> if you want sarge then use this:
>
> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-pure64
> sarge main
>
> There should be no more problems with the /lib64 with the
> newest sarge or sid netinst iso.
I used the sid .iso from 19 feb 2005 and have just installed and apart
from a small obstacle (/dev/hda21 not recognised - had to 'mknod' etc.)
it all went really well. No more libc6 problem ;)

Thanks again.  One reason I wanted this new install was to try a much
lighter wm than KDE, which seems to use a lot of resource and crashes
from time to time.  I've installed xfce and so far it seems blisteringly
quick in comparison. I'm itching to get all my other apps installed so I
can work on it and find my way around.

I never thought I'd giveup on KDE (couldn't get on with Gnome) but with
a little more knowledge comes much greater power ;)  It's been a long
weekend since Friday night (of installing that is) but well worthwhile.

> >AFAICT Lilo has been nowhere near this machine.  The install did manage
> >to install grub on the MBR - it is from my production system that I
> >can't install grub on the MBR.
>
> I didn't really follow your thread about the MBR. I had a
> flash about the MBR because I had a corrupt MBR once and
> that caused many problems until fixing the MBR. I was
> responding to the thread about your production system in
> this post on a whim. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> I was hoping somebody else would know an easier way to clean
> up an MBR because I only had that problem once.
Harri suggested passing the noexec=off parameter to the kernel line in
grub and grub-install succeeded;)  Aritz suggested downloading DSL and I
now have a grub rescue CD ... so thanks all ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...