Re: Another program for burning dvds

On 08:19, Mon 14 Mar 05, Max wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 01:28:08PM -0800, Max wrote:
> >
> >>/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian describes four "official" ways
> >>to burn DVD under Debian.
> >>Personally, I like the last one with patched cdrecord which is to be
> >>manually compiled. There are simple instructions for that. But to get the
> >>job done you may need to additionally install the following packages:
> >>dpatch autotools-dev smake
> >

> >If that patch involves the 'dvdrecord' patch then unless someone else
> >has taken over, or this is yet another patch, then it only supports
> >Pioneer A03/103 properly, and isn't maintained very well (if at all).
>
> Patched cdrecord works fine with my NEC ND-1300A dvd burner.
> At least it's not worse than commercial cdrecord-ProDVD.
>
> >Certainly I prefer growisofs for burning DVDs.  Never fails.
>
> I use growisofs as well but for DVD+R[W] media.
>
> Max

I think a lot of people get confused about burning, and
composing a dvd. Once a dvd, or image of a dvd is done then
burning it with your gui is not a problem.  I do agree that
in order to get an image, or a composite of a dvd is the
hard part.

Since a lot of people are used to the way windows handles
dvds they assume that all they have to do is click a button, and
their dvd will be ready for burning. So people confuse
burning with composing, under Gnu/Linux its more of a
process as most people know who read this list. If anyone
has used dvdauthor will know that it can be tricky.  Not to
mention that to get the same functionality you will need non
DFSG programs such as mencoder, transcode and the infamous
decss. Then we will have the upcoming DRM, and format wars
that are upon us. I do not see a very easy solution for
composing a DVD for a while, even under Windows and the DRM,
Trusted Computing, the days of simplicity may be over. It
might be a long process to exercise your rights of fair use
in the USA.

But if your interested in a Linux guide of how to compose
and make a dvd then this might be of interest to all those
who follow this thread.

http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/single/index.html

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

I at least found the links above to be very useful!

Gnu-Raiz