Re: chroot from ia64 not working

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > I have followed instructions on chrooting, when I try and use 'dchroot'
> > I get
> > '/usr/bin/dchroot -c ia32 -d openoffice
> > (ia32) openoffice
> > No shell
> > dchroot: Child exited non-zero.
> > dchroot: Operation failed.'
> > What have I done wrong?

Literally that looks like you have no shell.  Check your password
field entry in your chroot and verify that shell exists in the chroot
and is executable there along with all required libraries for it.

> Well if your subject is correct, you are on the wrong architecture for
> using ia32 software.  If you meant you can't chroot from an amd64/em64t
> machine, then someone can hopefully help you out.  ia64 is itanium
> architecture, not x86-64.

Agreed.  But coincidentally both ia64 and amd64 support ia32 chroots
in exactly the same way.  So really there is good potential for
sharing of information, howtos and other instructions between them.

Bob