Re: desktop problems

Erik,

If you manage to get into Gnome, open a terminal (Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal on my Gnome, it *may* be different for you).

Then just type "nautilus" by itself, and a second or two later (depending on speed), you should have your desktop back.

If not, in your terminal, type "su -", then when prompted enter your root password. Type this:
apt-get install nautilus

That will install nautilus if you don't have it. After downloaded, type "exit" in terminal (to exit out of Super-User mode), then try running "nautilus" again.

Hopefully this will work.. :)

James

Erik Norman wrote:

I have the same problem on kdm, xdm and gdm (I have tried them all now!)

I can set a background, but there is no wastebasket, no folders and no
menu on right mousebutton klick.

Erik