Instead of chroot for i386

Hi,

My understand that the solo reason for the i386 chroot to exist is to
avoid messing up 64bit and 32bit libraries. Is that so?

I'm running an i386 Debian Sarge perfectly well, and I have sufficient
spare partitions to test AMD64 Sarge. In this case, is it ok just to
append my i386 tool paths to the PATH and add i386 library paths to
ldconfig?

To me, theoretically it should work, and it is much much simpler than
doing a brand new i386 chroot install.

Since nobody says so, I guess I might be missing something here. Please
comment. Thanks