Re: Install process hangs on MTA restart

Barry Rountree wrote:

Installation hangs after email configuration with message:

	Restarting MTA: exim4

I can log into the second console.

This happened with each of these two isos.

	sid-amd64-netboot.iso          01-Mar-2005
	sid-amd64-netinst.iso          19-Feb-2005

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Barry-

Are you trying to finish installation or fix the installer?

Actually, I have used the 19 Feb sid netinst without the same problem. The exim has been updated recently and might be different. This could also be due to a misconfigured network or a modem crash. I doubt the netboot would work without a bootp and tftp server if at all.

To just get past the problem edit the /etc/init.d/exim4 and put "exit 0" near the first line. Maybe using the ps -ax and then kill exim from the second console would work. Then you could fix the exim config later.

Did you wait long enough? Those things usually timeout.

Somebody else might want the debug info.

Good Luck,

editor@postscript.port5.com
--
AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256 Creative SB Live WD Raptor SATA Maxtor PATA IBM/Okidata Color PostScript3 Lexmark Mono PostScript2 Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid Kernel 2.6.10 XFree86 4.3.0 Xorg X11R6.8.2 1.5 Mb DSL